Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Federal candidates





            Since we no longer get printed copies of Voter Guides, and few people can find the on-line versions available from Island County (https://wei.sos.wa.gov/county/island/en/Elections/Pages/OnlineVotersGuide.aspx) or the WA Secretary of State (https://wei.sos.wa.gov/agency/osos/en/press_and_research/PreviousElections/2014/General-Election/Pages/Online-Voters-Guide.aspx), I figured I would post the candidates’ statements here for your perusal.  I’ve had comment from one reviewer about typos and mangled sentences in the Candidates’ statements. I agree. There are. I didn’t put them there. I cut and pasted those directly from the Island County Elections website.


2nd congressional district

Rick Larsen,  D
Candidate’s statement:
Elected Experience: It is my privilege to serve as the Representative for Washington’s 2nd Congressional District. I’ve also served on the Snohomish County Council.
Other Professional Experience: Prior to working as a public official I was employed by the Port of Everett and the Washington State Dental Association.
Education: I graduated from Pacific Lutheran University in Washington state and have a masters degree from the University of Minnesota.
Community Service: My parents were an important influence on me, encouraging me to be involved in my local community. Their encouragement continues to be a motivation for my service to our communities.
Statement: I was born and raised in Arlington. My mom and dad raised me with the values I now teach my own children: community, service and commitment.

These values guide my work and my belief in a country that creates opportunities for the middle class and expands participation in our democracy and economy. That’s why I’m working to raise the national minimum wage, combat income inequality, create jobs in our community, and fix our broken immigration system.

Income inequality has been called the “defining challenge of our time.” We need to rise to this challenge and build a ladder for those seeking to break into the middle class. There’s no better place to start than by raising the minimum wage. Washington state has a minimum wage that is the envy of many others, but there’s more to be done. I’ll work hard in Congress to increase the national minimum wage and tie future increases to inflation.

I’m also working to put people back to work. The best way to create jobs is to invest in our transportation systems. Building and repairing our roads, bridges and highways will grow our economy and immediately put people to work. I’ve been a leader on transportation issues in Congress and will continue my strong support for investments to improve safety and spur economic growth in our communities.

And I’m committed to expanding opportunities for everyone to participate in our economy and democracy. We must reform America’s broken immigration laws by establishing a clear pathway to citizenship, destroy any barrier that prevents people who are registered to vote from exercising that right, extend unemployment benefits to the long-term unemployed and support efforts that ensure marriage equality exists in every state.

None of this will be easy, but I’m up for the challenge.
Contact:
(425) 259-1866
www.ricklarsen.org




B J Guillot,  R
Candidate’s statement
Elected Experience: Chair, Marysville Library Board.

Other Professional Experience: Vice President of Product Management at multinational firm providing Public Safety solutions (EMS, Fire, 9-1-1) to municipalities. Team Lead and Software Developer at multinational energy company. Sole proprietor of computer software startup developing custom built solutions to solve specific industry problems.

Education: B.S. in Computer Science and Mathematics from the University of Houston.

Community Service: Manage website to inform residents about the status of Paine Field commercial flights. Advocate for electric cars.

Statement: Let's face it. Many have been hurt by the lack of jobs, college debt, and too much government red tape. We all see the empty storefronts. We can now do something about it–together. Listening to you will be my hallmark. I care for you, your family, and our country's future.

People are hurting. The middle class is shrinking. Too many jobs from Skagit, Whatcom, Island, San Juan, and Snohomish Counties have been lost or moved out of State. (Boeing, Kimberly Clark, Penguin Windows, Visiting Nurse Home Care, just to name a few.) College graduates frequently find few or no jobs in their industry. They often face having to take two part-time jobs without benefits, just to make ends meet.

I will fight hard to bring jobs and businesses into our communities, starting by working together to reduce the burden of government regulations to make our district more desirable.

I will stand for reducing the debt, ending and keeping our country out of unnecessary wars, and restoring our civil liberties. The Patriot Act and domestic spying on our phone calls, emails, and web usage must stop. Representing you, I will do something about it!

And I will listen to you, as well as let you know how legislation will impact you and your family. One approach will be to use electronic innovations to enhance contact with your Congressman, resulting in a more responsive representative. This keeps us neighbor to neighbor, and you can provide input on the issues you care about from home, work, or public library. You will have the tools to express constructive views on creating jobs and opportunities. You are the best source of new ideas.

I will bring listening, reason, and innovation to our community. I ask and thank you for your powerful vote
Contact:
(425) 322-4610
www.vote4bj.com


Since maintaining a functional planet on which to live is rather important to me, I checked with some people I trust at Only One Climate. www.onlyoneclimate.org  reports:



Rick Larsen:  Voted NO on barring EPA from regulating greenhouse gases. Voted YES on enforcing limits on CO2 global warming pollution. Voted YES on tax incentives for renewable energy.
BJ Guillot said: "Global warming is real. I'm not afraid to say it. I consider myself to be a science geek, and the data is just unmistakable. Responsible action is needed to combat the change, but without destroying the economy. A comprehensive plan can solve this by utilizing cleaner energy sources like solar, wind, geothermal and nuclear."
"Scientific evidence leaves no doubt that our global climate is changing as a result of greenhouse gases produced by human activity."
"I support efforts to curb the devastating effect that human-made carbon dioxide and other greenhouse emissions have on our environment."

My take: I am very much not impressed with Rick Larsen because of his positions on the Navy (they can do no wrong) and the coal port (even if it kills us, it will bring jobs). But Mr Guillot is your classic libertarian tech geek who thinks we can tech our way out of  climate change (nuclear? Please.), that we can run a government without money (reduce the debt is code for cutting taxes), and that regulations stifle industry so do away with them. No thanks. There’s a reason for those regulations, as we see with Wall Street and the banking industry.

Both these candidates ran in the primary, so check back on my post about them then.

Much as I hate having to vote for the lesser evil, I will be holding my nose and voting for Rick Larsen.

No comments:

Post a Comment