Thursday, October 20, 2016

Hot New Bulletin


We now have an alternative to Norma Smith and Michael Scott for the legislature. The write-in candidate, Scott Chaplin, has been too busy working for Doris Brevoort to get back to me, but the very fact that he’s working for Doris says good things.

To vote for a write-in candidate, go to the relevant race (Legislative District 10, State Representative Position 1) and write in on the dotted line Scott Chaplin. Don’t forget to black in the square next to his name.

So now, instead of sitting this one out, I’ll be writing in Scott Chaplin.

On Oct 19, 2016, at 10:28 AM, Scott C <scottc1962@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Marianne,

Scott Chaplin here.  I've met you a couple of times, most recently when Doris Brevoort came to Langley a couple of months ago to meet people in the park downtown.  Anyway, I became a volunteer campaign manager of sorts for her and have also been helping out with some Get Out the Vote activities.

I have a background as an environmental activist, resource management consultant and also as an elected official.  I've been thinking of getting back into politics and Art Huffine of the Island County Democrats has been very supportive - even listing me as their choice as a write-in candidate (without even clearing it with me).  At their last meeting they gave me an official endorsement so I decided to pay the filing fee so that write in votes for me would actually be counted (per state law).

I'll be putting together a platform statement, website and maybe also a Facebook page soon; but in the meantime, I wanted to get on your radar screen so that you might consider recommending me on your bog.  I think that you will find me to be a very Progressive, Green Democrat.

I don't anticipate winning this time around, but I'm hoping to get a jump  start on the 2018 election cycle by getting my name out now; which might also pressure Norma Smith to be a bit more environmentally sensitive.

I grew up in a very politically active household in the 1960s - attending Peace rallies and other events.  During college I had a summer internship at the Solar Lobby (no longer in existence) in
Washington, DC.  During college I worked part time for Greenpeace.  After college I went on to a career helping state and local governments deal with energy, water, and waste management issues.  I served on a White House Office of Science and Technology panel looking into the potential impacts of Climate Change; and also on a "Greening of the White House" team.  I was elected twice in Colorado to a city council position on a platform strongly emphasizing environmental protection and smart growth policies.  One of my proudest achievements is that we were able to stop a big box store from opening up in our little town.

Let me know if you have time to meet.  I don't want to put too much time into this because it takes time away from Doris's campaign - but Art thought it would be important that I at least get the word out so that people have an alternative to the Republican/Libertarian options.  Also, I think I can leverage my candidacy to get some more publicity for Doris.

Thanks for your time,

Sincerely,

Scott Chaplin

No comments:

Post a Comment