Sunday, October 7, 2018

Notes from 10-2-18 candidates' night in Freeland

notes of 10-2-18 Candidate night at Trinity Lutheran Church
hosted by League of Women Voters and Sno-Isle Libraries

Thanks again to the League and Sno-Isle Libraries

I counted the number of chairs in the undersized room and there were more than 100. There were people arrayed around the walls and more jammed in the hallway. My guess is that there were in the range of 200 people.

Barbara Seitle of the League moderated, and opened with an admonition to vote early because ballots mailed on Tuesday, November 6, may not be postmarked that day and so will not be counted. Ballots will be mailed October 19, so look for them in your mail. If you don’t have them by October 21, contact Island County Elections at 360-679-7366 or elections@co.island.wa.us

Barbara informed us that the League of Women Voters has prepared 1 page summaries of ballot issues. I was not able to find those summaries on their website, so don’t know where to send you.


You will find the occasional editorial comment in (parentheses). I just couldn't be completely objective in my reporting.

State Representative, legislative district 10


position 1
Scott McMullen – D
Norma Smith – R, incumbent

position 2
Dave Paul – D
Dave Hayes – R, incumbent

1. Do you believe the legislature should be exempt from the Public Records Act? (background: in the last legislative session there was a bill to exempt the legislature from the Public Records Act. It failed.)

Scott McMullen – I believe in open, transparent government, so no, the legislature should no be exempt.

Norma Smith – No, there should be no exemption. I failed to vote on that issue because I was attending the funeral of my mother-in-law. There are some issues which should remain private and we have a task force working on that. We need to be sensitive to personal information. (background: as with so many really telling votes, Norma did not vote on this bill)

Dave Paul – Its important. I am subject to Public Disclosure in my work at Skagit Valley College. This was a mistake by the legislature and my opponent. There can be limited exemptions for sensitive records. Otherwise, everything should be subject to public disclosure.

Dave Hayes – This is a critical issue. The legislature should comply with the Public Records Act. This was a Democrats’ bill. We need to recognize the history. We always comply in my office. There was (time’s up) a much better bill  . . . (background: he co-sponsored a bill to charge fees for public information request responses. He voted YES on the bill to exempt the legislature from disclosure)
2. What do you think about the McCleary decision and funding for education?

Norma Smith – We’ve done extraordinary work on this issue. In 8 years we have doubled the budget for education. The McCleary case has been closed. This is a 2 year process and we’re now working on levy swaps. The Democrats passed the bill. We’ve doubled education funding. We’re getting input from educators and taxpayers. There is a huge bill to be paid. (time)

Dave Paul – This is an important issue. The property tax increase was a Republican proposal. It was not bipartisan and its wrong. Special Education remains unfunded. HB 1377 would have helped but my opponent voted against it.

Dave Hayes – I was on the House Education committee for 4 years and have learned something of the issues. I agree that special education and counselors are unfunded mandates. I am against unfunded mandates and sometimes the only way to show my opposition is to vote no. We need to restructure teacher salaries (time) . . .

Scott McMullen – Education is one of my top issues. I have 8 children. Dealing with McCleary and teacher raises are all a game of catch-up. They’ve been underpaid for years. Para-educators are still underpaid. We’re still losing teachers to states which pay better. Our children deserve better than mere “basic” education.

3. What is your position on the sale of military style weapons?

Dave Paul – I am not a fan of these weapons. The debate has been framed by extremists. I disagree with the NRA. Check out the Alliance For Gun Safety. The brains of 18 year olds are not sufficiently developed to make life and death decisions. I’m not sure when our brains are sufficiently developed and some may never be. Yes, we need to limit access to these weapons.

Dave Hayes – One man’s military style rifle is another man’s sporting rifle. (The audience burst into incredulous laughter). Its not gun control. We have a constitutional right to own guns. We need to adopt rules against using guns against other people. I support House bill 1501 (background: Hayes co-sponsored 1501, which protects law enforcement and the public from persons who illegally attempt to obtain firearms. His voting record is full of pro-gun, anti-gun-control votes).

Scott McMullen – I’m not anti-gun. I own hunting rifles but they’re safely stored. I was in the military for 27 years. Assault weapons do not belong in the general population. I’m against such things as bump stocks. My son had trouble in his classes because he was busy trying to figure out how to evacuate the school.

Norma Smith – There are two parts to this issue. First is the Constitution. The second is reasonable gun control. A legislative committee controls that process. My focus is on the need for mental health services (time). We know those issues (background: Norma consistently votes pro-gun, anti-control).

4. Washington has the country’s most regressive tax structure. What are its failures and how can we improve on it?

Dave Hayes – The worst is the B&O tax since it is levied on total receipts instead of  just on profits. We need to look at how to change that. The state’s revenues increase every year, this year by $1.2 billion – this biennium by $328 million and next biennium by $443 million (background: I’ve been trying to figure out the numbers he was throwing out, since they seem to be inconsistent. I haven’t figured it out). (time) We have to weigh the income vs expenditures.

Scot McMullen – Yes, Washington’s tax structure is very regressive, which makes it very unfair. Poor people pay 20% of their income in taxes while the wealthy pay only 2%. We need to walk back those 600+ tax breaks for corporations. Those corporations are not fulfilling the promises on which those tax breaks were based (background: we’re mainly talking about Boeing, which received exemption from both B&O and sales tax in exchange for a promise to build the 777 in Washington).

Norma Smith – Yes, the tax base is unfair, with property taxes, B&O tax, sales tax. There is much criticism of this system but people have clearly rejected the income tax. We need to think differently. There are some 2500 – 4000 data suppliers (time) who need to be taxed.

Dave Paul – Yes, the tax structure is unfair. Corporations are not paying their fair share. They are not fulfilling the promises on which those tax breaks are based. We can’t just waive the B&O tax.

5. The Dept of Ecology says that climate change is shrinking the snowpack in the mountains, which is reducing the amount of water in our rivers, which is harming our citizens. How do you propose to deal with this?

Dave Hayes – Yes, the climate is changing. The question is how to deal with that. We have high standards for industry. We’re already doing it right. Any new standards will affect jobs and our state’s competitive advantages.(background: Hayes consistently votes anti-environment).

Dave Paul – Environmental issues are the biggest difference between my opponent and myself. My opponent voted against a whole collection of environmental bills. Our tourism, fishing, and agriculture depend on a clean environment.

Norma Smith – We’re already doing an enormous amount. We’re spending more than $100 million on school health. We’re working on forest health. Dept of Natural Resources gave me an award for my leadership in forest restoration (background: I’ve got a call in to DNR inquiring about this claim). We’ve been negotiating for 4 years on a solar energy bill (time). We’re doing lots of work . . .

Scott McMullen – Yes, we’re behind the 8 ball. We need to do a whole lot of things to protect our waters, our salmon, our Orcas. We can’t deny climate change any more. We need to pass regulations to control oil spills, toxic runoff – we need clean water for our Orcas and salmon.

Dave Hayes uses one of his challenges – When we pass bills we have to check what benefits they will yield. The bills cited by Dave Paul were partisan bills.

Dave Paul responds – All of those bills had broad bipartisan support.

6. How can the legislature support increased mental health and addiction support?

Dave Paul – I’ve heard about this from everyone. We need to treat this as a community problem. The number of medical providers in rural areas is too low. Such support would save money, prevent homelessness, and help people.

Norma Smith – I wrote the mental health budget. There’s no one home on the executive side on this issue. I brought people together and wrote the house budget on this. This year there is $180 million in the capital budget.

Scott McMullen – Any investment in mental health care is well spent. I toured Ryan’s House. They are doing great work with young people. Norma Smith blocked a $220k grant to Ryan’s House.

Dave Hayes – I am very proud of having funded a facility in Oak Harbor. I work at the street level. Police and counselors are partners in this. We work to get people off the street and into services.

Norma Smith uses one of her challenges – Are you aware that each county has a designated authority for those grants? Island County Human Services did not recommend that grant.

Scott McMullen responds – I did not rely on just one person’s report. The whole staff explained the situation.

7. Which of the programs listed in I-1631 would you implement?

Norma Smith – There are 64 public utilities in Washington. The 3 investor owned utilities serve 45% of the population. 100% of utilities which rely on fossil fuels are still charging clean energy fees. We need to electrify the transportation grid. We need to build out community solar.(time)

Scott McMullen – Island Transit is moving to clean buses. We need to protect both workers and the environment. I want to see apprenticeships in green energy.

Dave Hayes – The largest emitters are exempt, so who ends up paying for this? Consumers will pay the most. We could provide incentives for electric cars. (time) Also, we could support solar power.

Dave Paul – I want the 10th legislative district to be a leader in solar and wind power installation. We have the schools and the union labor. We can add jobs to the workforce. Once those wind and solar are installed they will need to be maintained, which will generate more jobs.

8. Please tell us whatever you like. You have 2 minutes each.

Norma Smith – I was appointed in 2008 and expected to serve only one term, but there are issues of such significance that I feel I need to stay on to represent you. I am your neighbor. I live in Clinton. I’m from a military family. I’ve got cards out in the hall with a partial list of all the work I’ve done and am doing. Data privacy and net neutrality are big issues for me. We have a house committee on this issue, with 3 Republicans and 3 Democrats. We want to create a new office of privacy and data protection. I am the mother of the eastern Washington forest health program, which I started 10 years ago.

Scott McMullen – I’m Scott McMullen. I live in Mt Vernon where I am a firefighter. I have 8 children. My father was in the state legislature and the state senate. I served 2 terms on the Mt Vernon city council. I have served on many (sorry, I didn’t catch them all) boards in Skagit County. I am part of various civic clubs, one of which built the splash park in Mt Vernon. I will work hard to protect the environment, fully fund education, improve transportation, and protect workers and workers’ rights.

Dave Hayes – Thank you. I’ve been a state representative for 6 years and a cop for 24 years. I live on Camano Island. I have two grown sons. One works for Homeland Security in Alabama. My priorities are education, law enforcement and firefighters, and the Snohomish County Diversion Center. Mental health and addiction need more work. I’m still working on capital facilities. We need to work more on enforcement . . .(time)

Dave Paul – I’m a parent, an educator at Skagit Valley College. I've been going door to door meeting voters and listening to their priorities. My issues are education, jobs, mental health and addiction, and homelessness. I will represent everybody and assure that all voices are heard.

Island County Commissioner, District 3

Janet St Clair – D
Rick Hannold – R, incumbent

1. Are 3 county commissioners an adequate number? How would you change that?

Janet St Clair – We need to wait for the next census. The population is growing and we may need to make changes in response. Lets revisit this after the 2020 census.

Rick Hannold – To change that number we would need to institute a charter government, which requires a lot of time and voter approval. 5 commissioners would be a good number.

(background: if you’re interested, I have written a quick tutorial on the Charter process. It is most definitely NOT a simple process. Email me for a copy.)

2. District 3 is geographically split. What issues does this generate?

Rick Hannold – It creates both opportunity and challenges. It does take a lot of time. I hold office hours on Camano and maintain my north Whidbey contacts. North Whidbey is rural, but with the Navy. Camano is mostly retired people, young families, and a lot of summer homes. Lots of people know they’re being heard. We’re working on the Housing Element of the comp plan. Everybody is heard, but not everybody is satisfied.

Janet St Clair – 68% of the people in the district live on Camano and they feel under-represented. There are the access issues. Transportation, jobs, and medical care are major issues. I will be present in my own community.

Rick Hannold uses one of his challenges – My predecessors have all come from Camano. Only 2 in the last 38 years have not been from Camano.

Janet St Clair – Camano did not feel represented by Kelly Emerson.

3. How would you improve mobility and transportation?

Janet St Clair – We need to pay attention to the ferry system and its advisory committees. North Whidbey access via the bridge is important. The only access to Camano is Hwy 532. We need to work with WSDOT on traffic studies.

Rick Hannold – Yes, that’s a big concern. We commissioners are very active with Washington State Ferries and WSDOT. I sit on the Island Transit board. It was a major issue for us to keep the #411 bus route to Camano.

4. How do you propose to deal with Dept of Ecology, climate change, and the water supply?

Rich Hannold – We have a robust water program and many water resources. We have the Clean Water Utility (background: this one gagged me, since it was Angie Homola’s hard work and persistence which forced this into existence). We work with our advisory committees. We’re looking to go to phase 2 of the Clean Water Utility (background: more gag – in 2016 there was $1 mil in the CWU account to start phase 2. Hannold and Jill refused to release the funds). We’re working to prevent saltwater intrusion. We have a very robust program.

Janet St Clair – We in western Washington are lucky with regard to climate change, which is bringing us warmer wetter winters. Most of us have wells into our aquifer. Oak Harbor has a problem. It is impacted by the lack of snow, which leads to lower flows in the Skagit River. Saltwater intrusion is indeed an issue. And now we’re dealing with PFOA and, on Camano, arsenic.

5. What progress have you seen at the Island County jail?

Janet St Clair – There have been major improvements. We need to research the work flow in Law and Justice. It is not appropriate to simply put equal numbers of officers in each of the 3 districts. There has to be an accounting for the time involved in transporting people between the islands.

Rick Hannold – I’m very proud of the improvements at the jail. I want to work on work release for non-violent offenders. I want to see jail diversion.

6. What is the role of the commissioners in mental health services?

Rick Hannold – We’ve secured $4 million for the Oak Harbor facility, to build a detox and stabilization center. We need increased school based mental health counselors and human services mental health outreach.

Janet St Clair – I helped develop one of the first integrated mental health programs in Washington. It decreased costs and improved outcomes. We need more resources to do that here.

7. What is the role of Island County in affordable housing?

Janet St Clair – Island County is not a housing provider. There are different housing needs. There are homeless housing, workforce housing, and senior housing. I want to encourage low impact development and accessory dwellings. I want to increase density and infill in Oak Harbor, to build up and not out. I want to work with housing providers. No one should be in unstable housing.

Rick Hannold – The commissioners just passed the Housing Element of the comp plan. It is a blueprint for action. We want to increase density in Urban Growth Areas and in Rural Areas of Increased Density (background: that is a non-starter because RAIDs are limited by state law). We need more flexibility in the Growth Management Act (background: that’s the law which limits RAIDs). We want to lower permit fees and reduce permit wait times (background: there is no evidence that this does anything to create more housing or to reduce the cost to the residents).

8. Please tell us, in 2 minutes, whatever you like.

Rick Hannold – I appreciate the warmth and the large turnout. Island County will lead the state in terms of voter turnout. We’re working hard to bring common sense to government. Its not perfect, but your tax dollars are being invested wisely. We’re working on transitioning to a 2 year budget cycle. Budgets will be outcome based. We’re developing metrics to measure progress.

Janet St Clair – Thank you, and please vote for me. Democracy works when we all show up. Lets end the divisive rhetoric. I’m a moderate Democrat and I advocate responsive and respectful leadership. I will represent all the people. I want to work for thriving families in a strong community in a clean environment.


Island County Sheriff

Rick Felici – R
Lane Campbell – R

1. How do you feel about deputies carrying Narcan for rescuing drug overdosed people?

Lane Campbell – We have Narcan now. We carry Naloxone in our vehicles. I have no issue with it. Our job is the preservation of life. I think its an awesome alternative.

Rick Felici – I agree. I’m glad we have it. Originally there was some resistance, but that was overcome with education. It is an outstanding addition.

2. How do you propose to combat drug related crimes?

Rick Felici – With education, enforcement, and treatment. Those resistant to services will go into the legal system. We work with the county commissioners, with tax funded agencies, and with the faith based community.

Lane Campbell – I would love to get back into the school system. Get young kids used to us. I want full time drug enforcement and a k-9 unit.

3. How do you propose to deal with mental health problems?

Lane Campbell – I’ve been working the streets for 37 years, every day. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink. We all go through de-escalation training. I want these people looked after before they go to jail. I want a field program.

Rick Felici – I advocate for contact anywhere and everywhere. We have limited response options. The good news is the proposed Oak Harbor facility. I believe in collaboration. Now we have the potential for a mental health worker.

4. What is your position on I-940, requiring de-escalation training? (background: 940 requires de-escalation training for cops, requires them to have first aid training – yeah, really, that is not required now – and sets standards for use of deadly force).

Rick Felici – I’ve had a lot of conversations about this. This is not the sky falling. We already have significant de-escalation training in Washington. Its about the rules around deadly force. There will be no huge impact on how we do our jobs.

Lane Campbell – We train all the time in de-escalation. We’re top notch. I’ve been doing first aid for 37 years. As for the deadly force issue, we train and train.

5. What are the most concerning types of crime in Island County and how do you propose to reduce those?

Lane Campbell – Its all drug related. People are getting into homes and vehicles. It’s a societal problem. Many of the homeless are part of the community and we will protect them.

Rick Felici – All crime concerns me, but I agree that much of it is related to drugs and mental health. We lack a process and we lack the staff to deal with it adequately. Its important to increase staff. Common sense . . .(time)

6. In 2015 the 21st Century Policing Initiative was adopted. Which strategies are being used? Which ones do you like?

Rick Felici – That document is just a description of good policing. It relates to service, standards, the relationship with the community, and training. It feels like a model of what we’re already doing.

Lane Campbell – My job as sheriff is to work with you and your communities. I’ve been doing that all my career. The job is to organize groups. We need to bridge the gap between the sheriff and the community.

7. What will be your policy concerning undocumented people?

Lane Campbell – Yeah, we have a policy: don’t seek out illegals. They’re no problem. They have the same problems as everyone else. No, we don’t turn them over to ICE. If a criminal warrant exists, we will hand them over.

Rick Felici – Our office has a robust policy, as recommended by the Attorney General and supported by federal case law and the 21st Century Policing Initiative. Its not an issue. We don’t ask people their immigration status. We treat people fairly regardless.

8. In 2 minutes, tell us whatever you like.

Rick Felici(he displays a wry sense of humor). I’m very encouraged by the numbers. This is my first political foray. I want to build a better office. We already have a solid foundation. We need to overcome the negativity about police. We need to take responsibility for our actions and work with and for you. We need to improve communications.

Lane Campbell – I’ve been an Island County sheriff for 28 years and a cop for 37 years. I’ve worked under 5 chiefs. I’ve seen what works. I want to get the drug dealers off the street. I want to help people with drug issues and mental health. I have vast experience. My dad is 84 years old and he busts his butt every day. I follow his example. I’m not the guy sitting in an office. I’ll be in my car and available to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment