Friday, October 5, 2012

South Whidbey Fire/EMS Levy Lift Proposition


EMS Levy Lift Proposition
The Fire/EMS district is asking to raise the current property tax levy by more than the allowed 1%. They’re asking to raise the levy from the current $0.61/$1000 to $0.76/$1000. The Fire/EMS district says that because of the drop in property values, their take from property taxes has dropped by almost $200,000.00. They say they have had to cut heating and lighting at stations, reduce mileage for non-emergencies, and reduce volunteer training.

I have somewhat mixed feeling about this levy, in large part because I have not seen the Fire/EMS district budget or how its changed over the last few years. I have heard grumblings about excessively large fire stations and the need for ever newer, bigger, fancier equipment. But I haven’t investigated those complaints, so can’t verify their validity.

Without further information, and knowing it will increase my taxes, I will most likely vote yes. As with every other cost, my fire insurance is going up.

yes
no

No comments:

Post a Comment