Saturday, July 21, 2018

Local Issues



Whidbey Island Public Health Hospital District, Proposition No. 382 – EMS

Shall the Whidbey Island Public Hospital District be authorized to continue to impose regular property tax levies of fifty cents ($0.50) or less per $1000.00 of assessed valuation, beginning with a tax levy in 2018 for collection in 2019, and ongoing each year for six consecutive years, to provide funds for emergency medical care or emergency medical services in the district, including related personnel and training costs, equipment, supplies, vehicles, and structures, all as provided in Resolution No. 382?
Yes
No

According to the story in the Whidbey Record, this levy provides 60% of the EMS operating budget, which makes it kind of vital. I’m groused at Whidbey General for what I consider managerial ineptitude and poor decision-making. On the other hand, I really want to know that when things go south, they’re there to bail me, and anyone else, out. So we really do not have a choice. I will sigh and vote yes.


South Whidbey Parks & Recreation District, 4 year Maintenance and Operation Levies
For maintenance and operation of its recreation facilities and programs, shall the South Whidbey Parks and Recreation District be authorized to impose regular property tax levies of $0.20 per $1000.00 of assessed valuation for each of four consecutive years commencing in 2018, for collection in the years 2019 through 2022, all as provided in District Resolution No. 2018-04?
Yes
No

I like South Whidbey Parks & Rec. I like what they do and how they do it. I think they spend our money responsibly. It had a bit of a rocky early history, but ever since Doug Coutts has taken over as Director the Parks & Rec district has been expanding both its land area and its programs – to the benefit of residents and visitors alike. I’m waiting with ‘bated breath for the new campground to come on line. That is going to fill a gaping hole in Whidbey’s camping capacity, which in turn will bring more visitors, who can reasonably be expected to spend $$ here. I’m also waiting – and waiting, and waiting – for a public swimming pool. I so dearly want to be able to swim again without having to worry about toxic algae or septic overflows. I know it is somewhere on the long term wish list for Parks & Rec, but that is a very big ticket item so will have to wait.

Meanwhile, the tax levy is what keeps Parks & Rec going and I very much want to see it keep going, so I’ll be voting an enthusiastic yes.

1 comment: